Wednesday, September 21, 2011

ACOA

Anyone know of any atheists in 12 step programs? I mean, there HAVE to be some, right?  Is there honestly no group of people who have found a way other than a "higher power" to deal with being out of control? or being the child of someone who was?

My mom is just "coming to terms" with the fact that my father is an alcoholic and addicted to pain pills. No big surprise on my end, he's always been a man of excess--he eats, drinks, drugs, talks too much. There is nothing small or reserved about my father.  But I guess I never put a label on it. Last night I was looking into ACOA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) and Al-Anon and trying to see if anything clicked. And it kinda all did. But Jeez, all that God stuff is off-putting!! I'd love to go to a meeting and see if I connect with the people there, who might have grown up like I did, with no "real" role models for parenting, but all the God crap is a total turn off!! Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment